Six-year-old girl died after accidentally setting her clothes on fire with LIGHTER
A six-year-old girl died after accidentally setting herself
on fire while playing with a cigarette lighter at home.
An inquest heard Keira-Leigh Garland suffered more than
66 per cent burns to her body after her cotton dress
caught fire in New Brighton, Merseyside.
Despite medical staff at Alder Hey children’s hospital in
Liverpool battling to save her life, she died 19 days later
from complications arising from her burns.
Liverpool coroner Andre Rebello was told Keira-Leigh’s
parents had separated and she was being brought up by
her paternal grandma.
Her dad, Sam Garland, lived in a flat with his girlfriend and
her four-year-old son in a multiple occupancy house at a
different address in the same street.
visiting her dad when she got hold of a lighter which was
on top of a wardrobe in another part of the house.
Mr Garland was in his attic flat when he heard a scream
and rushed out. He saw his child at the bottom of the
stairs with her hair and dress ablaze.
An inquest heard he tried to save her by patting her down,
suffering burns to his hands in the process.
Emergency services advised those tending to the
youngster to put her in cold water and to keep cooling her
down until paramedics arrived.
about the number of cigarette lighters scattered about the
property – which was divided into flats and bedsits – and
about children getting access to them.
Giving a verdict of accidental death, Mr Rebello warned
about the dangers of children coming into contact with
lighters and other smoking equipment.
He told the family: “Keira-Leigh was very special and she
needs to be remembered for her life, not for the tragedy
of her death.
“Clearly keeping children safe from the danger of smoking
equipment and lighters is the responsibility of anybody
who purchases, acquires or holds a lighter.
“Children should never have access to such devices.”