Photos: Baby suffers serious burns after he drank oven cleaner
One-year-old Elijah Mole had his face and mouth burnt
after mistakenly drinking oven cleaner while his father had
his back turned, Mirror Online reports.
Within seconds, he was choking as his face burned up from
the chemicals and he was rushed to hospital for emergency
surgery to open his airway. His parents released shocking
pictures of their son’s injuries urging others to be aware of
dangers in their home to protect their children.
“I’ve nearly had a break down about this all to be
honest,” said Jimmy. “There will always be a feeling
of guilt. It was my fault.
like this, but we dread to think what could have
happened. He could have died or been blinded.
It could have been a real terrible tragedy.”
Although Elijah didn’t swallow any liquid, the contact was
enough to cause serious first-degree burns to his face, lips
and neck. Elijah’s mother, Deanne, 39, said she also feels
terrible over her son’s accident. I feel really guilty,” she
said. “I worked over that day, otherwise I would have been
home.” The little boy remains in the hospital where he is
expected to make a full recovery.