Baby dies in hot car after family forgets him in it
An 11 month old baby boy died after his family left him in a scorching hot car after returning home from church. Jaxon Taylor was left inside the vehicle for more than two hours as temperatures reached 78C on Saturday.
The boy’s family – including his grandparents, aunt and another grandchild, returned home from church in Georgia around 3pm. No one remembered to take Jaxon inside the house.The family only realised the devastating mistake when the baby’s mother, Mandie Hendershot, who works overnight as a nurse, woke at 5.30pm and asked for her son.
“It appears that there were other things on their mind,” Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson Wilson told CNN.
“There was a lack of communication within the three adults. They assumed that one of the others had brought in the child and laid him down. They didn’t communicate who would get the child.”
Jaxon’s mother attempted CPR and the baby was rushed to the hospital where she works but he was declared dead.
Heartbroken Mandie posted pictures of her fiancé and Jaxon, their only child, and messages on her Facebook page since the tragedy.
She wrote: “My fiancées family has traveled from out of town to support and comfort us, to force us to eat, drink and move when we would lay in bed and cry.
“My fiancée and I had to leave a restaurant in tears last night when the table next to us had a little girl celebrating her first birthday.”
An autopsy is being conducted and the death appears accidental, Wilson said. But an investigation is ongoing and charges are possible.